From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Fred Rains <fjrains@...>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 11:00:34 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Chandler Mountain Work Day - Saturday, October 10th

Hey there, Wes.

Lawn mower and weedeater will do most of it. There is power on site but a 15amp breaker will prevent us from plugging too many things in at once.

There is some garbage that needs to be taken to a dumpster - cardboard boxes and the like.

I'm not going to be able to make it but we can get together another time on the C14. I have posted a copy of the Gemini manual on the club site here: https://bas-astro.groups.io/g/main/files. Sections 2.3, 2.4, and 5   will get you going. There is also a Powerpoint presentation on the C14 basics and a copy of the Televue Eyepiece calculator results for the C14 and various eyepieces. The handset battery has been replaced and if it the mount has not been moved since the last time all we'll need to do is start it up with a "warm restart" and be good to go. One thing to check will be the time to be sure the internal handset clock is close enough to the actual time. The location, mount type, etc. will not need to be reentered. There is no GPS connected but this won't be needed since its a permanent mount.

Jeff Messenger wants to get together on the C14 as well. Let's plan on getting up there on a clear night before long. DST is about to drop out and that will help.

Thanks!

Fred

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 05:25:22 PM CDT, Wes Donahoo <yourdominospizza@...> wrote:

Are there any specific materials/tools that are needed for tomorrow? I believe there are several cans of wasp spray there. I'll bring some ant killers. Also, is there any chance someone will be there tomorrow that can show me around the C14?

Thanks,
Wes

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems.

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening.

Thanks! -- James