Re: Strange signal coming from Proxima Centauri

Sterling DeRamus

It’s certainly plausible that we could detect biosignatures coming from certain exoplanets, given a very large space based interferometer.  I know NASA has considered such ideas, but I suspect that they would like to narrow down the candidates from Kepler first.  It’s an expensive idea.

On Dec 29, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Mark Copper <mlcopper@...> wrote:

While I don't expect a call back from ET, I'm excited about a future in which we might detect signs of life elsewhere in the universe. We might need a broader definition of life, like Richard Dawkins' proposal of heredity, and we might need bigger light gatherers so to collect enough photons from exoplanets. But inferring from our own example where life is billions of years old, it presents a bigger target.