Re: Public Star Parties and the COVID-19 Delta Variant

Martin

Being an infectious diseases doctor, I can tell you the number of cases is increasing significantly, and this variant appears to be at least twice as contagious as others. It is estimated that it is as contagious as chickenpox. Even vaccinated people can get infected (usually mild disease but still)

Martin Rodriguez

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...>
Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 1:41 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: [bas-astro] Public Star Parties and the COVID-19 Delta Variant

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!