Re: RS Oph in outburst

Sterling DeRamus

Here is the 2006 light curve.  It should be back to almost normal in a month.

On Aug 14, 2021, at 5:46 PM, Myron Wasiuta <mwasiuta@...> wrote:

Robert,
the star begins fading almost immediately. IIRC, in past events this star fades about 3 magnitudes in the first two weeks. 
Myron

Dr. Myron Wasiuta
President- MSRO Science, Inc
Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory 
Wilderness, VA USA

On Aug 14, 2021, at 4:21 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Very interesting! How long does the outburst “last” before dimming?

Robert Pitt, P.E., Ph.D. BCEE, D.WRE

Emeritus Cudworth Professor of Urban Water Systems

Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering

The University of Alabama

Rpittal at charter dot net

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Myron Wasiuta
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2021 9:03 PM
To: raclub@groups.io; novac@...; Bart Billard <bbillard@...>; Linda Billard <lbillard@...>; Glenn Faini <gfaini@...>; Jerry Hubbell <jhubbell@...>; Lauren Lennon <llennon@...>; Shannon Morgan <smorgan@...>; main@bas-astro.groups.io
Subject: [bas-astro] RS Oph in outburst

Hello,

Battling blood-sucking swarms of mosquitoes and sauna-like humidity, I managed to get an image of RS Oph in outburst last night as well as a spectra. For this image I combined 10 60-sec exposures made using photometric B,V, and R filters, then treated those images as RGB. The pink H-Alpha emission is evident in the color of the star.The telescope I used  is a 10-inch RC with QHY 174 GPS camera at 1980mm fl ( our MSRO Station 2 telescope) which gives 0.6arc-sec/pixel. I estimated visual magnitude to be close to 6.0. Its last outburst was in 2/2006,and the one before that was in 1985. These recurrent novae are among the rarest of stars in our galaxy-only 9 other are known ( T Pyx and T CrB are the most famous of these remaining nine).

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA

<image001.png>

Join main@bas-astro.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.