Re: RS Oph in outburst

Myron Wasiuta

Sterling,

Enclosed is your image taken on August 4 which I annotated to show the location of RS Oph. What I thought might be a weak detection of the star at minimum is actual not so. There is a 9th magnitude star very close to RS Oph location which is in fact what was detected. So in conclusion we can say that on the night your image was take, RS was fainter than mag 9.2 ( about the limiting mag of your image in the area of RS Oph). In fact it was still at its normal 11th mag quiescent state. Thanks for sending your image-it was fun analyzing it!

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory