Re: A couple of astropics from the other night

Robert Pitt

Hello Don:

You shouldn’t really use traditional narrow band filters with a color camera as it is very inefficient (1/4 of the photosites, just red for Ha for example, used), but it is possible and won’t hurt anything. Just more efficient to use a monochrome camera, if available. The Radian Ultra Triad plus filter I used is a strange (and expensive beast) having four very narrow band passes on one filter. There are other multi narrow band filters available too (usually with wider bands but less costly). These were designed for use with color cameras, so it is possible to separate the bands in processing and re-assign them to Hubble palate (I haven’t figured out that yet!).

Glad you got things worked out at Deerlick!