Topics

McWane Science Center Star Party - Oct. 5th

Charlie Thompson

There is an outreach event at the McWane Science Center this Saturday, October 5th from 7pm to 10pm.  Telescopes will be set up on the top of the parking deck for the public.  We have always had a pretty good turnout for previous star parties there.  There will probably be some cloud cover but they indicate that, unless it is almost totally covered over, the event will go on.  Most of the people attending have never looked through a telescope so, seeing anything is a big deal to them.
Unfortunately, this conflicts with the monthly Oak Mountain public star party.  We are going to try to handle both of them.
If you would like to participate at the McWane event, please try to arrive before 6:15pm (sunset is 6:27pm).  From experience, people start arriving way before the start time.  Enter the parking deck off of 2nd Ave N and go to the top (Level F).  There will be plenty of room to park your vehicle and set up your scope.  We will get tokens to get out afterwards if the gates are in use.
If you let me know you are coming and the name you would like on a name tag, I will see about getting some printed.

Fred Rains

Like Charlie said, there is also an Oak Mountain event this Saturday.

We have plenty of folks for both events but we need to know who will be where so please respond to this email if you can attend one of the scheduled events for Saturday.

As it turns out I’m going to be out of town this Saturday and we will need someone to coordinate with a Boy Scout group. Mainly just be there to show them some sights.

Usual disclaimers about the weather. Please check the Facebook page for last minute updates.

Thanks,

Fred

On Sep 30, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Charlie Thompson <cjthompson50@...> wrote:

[...]

James Moore

I will be at Oak Mountain -- we have a Boy Scout group coming in that evening. (I've been talking to them Fred, so we should be good.) Will need a few more folks to help with the group!

Thanks! -- James

Aaron Williams

Anyone else frustrated about the forecast? Two weeks of straight sun and then it is forecast to rain tonight.

Charlie Thompson

Been nice if it waited about 24 hours even if we really need the rain.

Taking a wait and see attitude on the McWane star party.  If there is any chance of seeing anything early (the moon, Jupiter + moons), I will head downtown unless they want to cancel.

Charlie

Anyone else frustrated about the forecast? Two weeks of straight sun and then it is forecast to rain tonight.

Sterling DeRamus

What does everyone think about the weather?

On Oct 1, 2019, at 8:26 PM, James Moore via Groups.Io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

I will be at Oak Mountain -- we have a Boy Scout group coming in that evening. (I've been talking to them Fred, so we should be good.) Will need a few more folks to help with the group!

Thanks! -- James

Sterling DeRamus

Looks awful on the radar. But we do need it.