Fort Davis

Sterling DeRamus

A closer possibility is Broken Bow lake Oklahoma. Only an 8 hour drive. Worth a shot for a weekend trip. Could easily go Saturday and come back Monday with two days to observe. 

On Aug 21, 2021, at 1:02 PM, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

Unfortunately I can’t as I have a work commitment.  i think i am just going to punt on ft davis and do something closer to home.

thanks for the advice everyone!

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:
Jeff, 

Can you not take Friday before Labor Day off?

On Aug 21, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

On the 12th sept, the moon sets about 11 pm, and then an hr later each night. So you can view late night to early morning, if you’re a night person. Also, it would be useful for landscape astrophotography, with a foreground exposure with the moon illuminating the scene and blend it with dark sky later.

Regards,

Bob

Robert Pitt, P.E., Ph.D. BCEE, D.WRE

Emeritus Cudworth Professor of Urban Water Systems

Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering

The University of Alabama

Rpittal at charter dot net

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Allegrezza
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2021 12:37 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Fort Davis

thanks.   Given the status of the moon, i think i’m going to go somewhere closer. looking at options now.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:

You can camp in the state park or up

In the mountains near the observatory. But Prude ranch does cater to astronomers and offers several amenities including a viewing field that has a power source.  

On Aug 21, 2021, at 8:54 AM, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

I've never been.  I was planning to just camp.    I might go somewhere closer since the full moon will be out and save Ft Davis for a time when the conditions and my schedule can line up.

thanks,

Jeff

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 8:46 AM Don Waters <donwaters201@...> wrote:

That is a long trip but a good site. Best of luck. I'm planning on Okie Tex in October (unless Delta scare me off) so I am not available.

Just curious, do you camp or stay at the lodge?

Don Waters

Jeff Allegrezza

Unfortunately I can’t as I have a work commitment.  i think i am just going to punt on ft davis and do something closer to home.

thanks for the advice everyone!

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:
Jeff, 

On the 12th sept, the moon sets about 11 pm, and then an hr later each night. So you can view late night to early morning, if you’re a night person. Also, it would be useful for landscape astrophotography, with a foreground exposure with the moon illuminating the scene and blend it with dark sky later.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Allegrezza

thanks.   Given the status of the moon, i think i’m going to go somewhere closer. looking at options now.

In the mountains near the observatory. But Prude ranch does cater to astronomers and offers several amenities including a viewing field that has a power source.  

I've never been.  I was planning to just camp.    I might go somewhere closer since the full moon will be out and save Ft Davis for a time when the conditions and my schedule can line up.

thanks,

Jeff

That is a long trip but a good site. Best of luck. I'm planning on Okie Tex in October (unless Delta scare me off) so I am not available.

Don Waters

Sterling DeRamus

Jeff, 

Regards,

Bob

thanks,

Jeff

Don Waters

Robert Pitt

Regards,

Bob

thanks,

Jeff

Don Waters

Jeff Allegrezza

thanks,

Jeff

Don Waters

Sterling DeRamus

thanks,

Jeff

Don Waters

Jeff Allegrezza

thanks,

Jeff

Don Waters

Don Waters

Don Waters

Jeff Allegrezza

Alas, this week is my only opportunity.  I actually misread the state of the moon for sept 14 so I’m glad you mentioned it.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 8:30 AM Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:
It’s during the full moon.  Labor Day weekend is better.

On Aug 20, 2021, at 5:19 PM, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

I'm considering a trip out to Davis Mountains State Park in Ft Davis TX...driving on Sept 11 and (probably) driving back on the 15 or 16th if anyone is interested.    If you are, let me know!

Jeff

Sterling DeRamus

It’s during the full moon.  Labor Day weekend is better.

On Aug 20, 2021, at 5:19 PM, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

I'm considering a trip out to Davis Mountains State Park in Ft Davis TX...driving on Sept 11 and (probably) driving back on the 15 or 16th if anyone is interested.    If you are, let me know!

Jeff

Jeff Allegrezza

Jeff