animation showing nova in M31

Myron Wasiuta

Here is a two frame animation of a highly cropped section of the outer spiral arms of m31 showing the recurrent nova M31 N 2008-12a  just after maximum at mag 18.7 on an image taken the night of November 15, 2021, and tonight ( November 23, 2021) where it has already faded beyond the detection limit of the telescope. I used a 10" f 7.9 TPO RC and QHY 174 GPS camera for these images. I had to slightly blur the image from tonight as the seeing or focus was noticeably better than that on the night of the 15th. The limiting magnitude of tonight's sharper image was 19 and there was no trace of the nova.

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA