Best dark site within easy drive

Jeff Allegrezza

Can anyone rank these nearby dark sites or suggest another?    Something within maybe 6 hours drive?

  • Stephen C Foster State Park
  • Chilahatchie Creek
  • French Camp
  • Blackwater state forest (Florida)?

Just planning future adventures.

Jeff

Fred Rains

Hey there, Jeff.

I can comment on three of them:

Stephen C Foster State Park.
     We visited there two weeks ago. Bortle 2 skies but the only observation spot is the parking lot across from the office/gift shop and there are lights and A LOT of boats. Has a small campground and was not impressed with maintenance of the spots. A little snug for larger rigs and a lot of trees. Gates close at sundown. If you do go be sure to drive down the “Suwannee River Sill”, a long dam/levee built to control (unsuccessfully) water flow in the Okefenokee. Huge alligators can be seen along its banks.

Chilahatchie Creek
     A USA Corp of Engineers campground and another Bortle 2 sky right here in Alabama. Great place to camp but only observation spot away from lights is an old cemetery (no joke) a short drive back along the road into the campground. Any clouds are black against the sky.

French Camp Academy
   One of my favorite spots. Great observing area that is part of the Rainwater Observatory and Planetarium; associated with the school. Site of the Mid South Stargaze every year. Some camping and  a bunk house onsite and a Bed and Breakfast close by. Very dark Bortle 3 and measured SQM of 21.0. (Chandler Mountain SQM is in the 20.6 range.)

Blackwater state forest (Florida)?
     Never been to this one but did see a post on Florida panhandle observing here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/799594-florida-panhandle-apalachicola-national-forrest-dark-spots/#entry11516428

Let me know if you find others!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Fred

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 10:47:30 AM CST, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

Can anyone rank these nearby dark sites or suggest another?    Something within maybe 6 hours drive?

  • Stdsephen C Foster State Park
  • Chilahatchie Creek
  • French Camp
  • Blackwater state forest (Florida)?

Just planning future adventures.

Jeff

Jeff Allegrezza

Sounds like French Camp wins.  Thank you, Fred.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
[...]

Sterling DeRamus

I agree. French camp is IMHO the best spot to observe east of the Mississippi in the entire country. Although some spots in the keys might come close to rivaling it. But they’re 12 hours away at least.

One important point is that French camp caters to astronomers. Elsewhere you may have a problem with the locals who might like to crash those spots and drink. I’ve had that happen and it’s a bit scary.

French camp though has all the amenities you need. A kitchen, a bathroom with a red light, a bunk house, power, even scopes.  The dew is not the best there though.  Not many good breakfast places close by. No Starbucks.

On Nov 23, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Jeff Allegrezza <jrallegrezza@...> wrote:

[...]

i’ll check it out sometime!

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 6:22 PM Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Pitt

Is French Camp only available on designated star party dates, or can one show up any time?

[...]

You’ll need to touch base with Edwin Faughn, the Director. If they don’t have a conflicting group he’ll work something out if he can.

The Huntsville Club tries to go every year and they always invite us.

I’ve been up there by myself before and it is nice.

Fred

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021, 07:02:03 PM CST, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

[...]

John D.

Their Mid South Star Party will be April 27-30 next Spring.  Anybody thinking of going?

From our last visit, I got the impression that we were always welcome to come up there with advanced notice.  The community appreciates us coming up there because we do spend money there.

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Don Waters

Edwin is tasked with raising funds for his operating expense, so he has requested donations if you use the facilities. Although this is not required, it seems to me to be very worthwhile to support such a unique place.
Don Waters