Topics

Chandler Mountain Work Day - Saturday, October 10th


James Moore
 

I'd like for us to organize a work day for CMO for Saturday, October 10th. I checked the football schedule and both Alabama and Auburn have late afternoon/early evening kickoff times. :-)

I know that we need to do some mowing/weeding, some elimination of wasps and ants from the general area, some clearing off of the pads and cleaning out of the sheds. If you have other items that you'd like to add to the "to-do" list, please feel free to respond to this post. 

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with us that day! If not, we'll try again the next weekend.

Thanks! -- James


Aaron Williams
 

So is the work day a “rain or shine” event? The weather seems to be unlikely to be supportive of grass related activities unfortunately. 


James Moore
 

All,

I'm postponing our work day until Saturday, October 17th. With hurricane remnants headed our way this weekend, the opportunity to get anything done is gone. 

Thanks! -- James


Fred Rains
 

Thanks, James.

Also - Mike and I were up there earlier this week and found that the battery for the roll-off was dead. It was a used battery when it was donated a few years ago and will need to be replaced.  In the mean time Mike did a quick rewire of the control panel to disconnect the inverter and connect the AC power that is at the site now. We also replaced the button battery in the Gemini controller. This will allow us to align the mount and it will keep the alignment as long as the mount is not moved manually. All we need to do then is turn it on each time and begin using it. 

Good news - we didn't talk to Mitchel but did see him on his tractor so he must be doing better!

Looking forward to some cooler weather!

Thanks again,

Fred

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 06:11:20 AM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:


All,

I'm postponing our work day until Saturday, October 17th. With hurricane remnants headed our way this weekend, the opportunity to get anything done is gone. 

Thanks! -- James


James Moore
 

Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


Fred Rains
 

Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems. 

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:


Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


Wes Donahoo
 

Are there any specific materials/tools that are needed for tomorrow? I believe there are several cans of wasp spray there. I'll bring some ant killers. Also, is there any chance someone will be there tomorrow that can show me around the C14? 

Thanks,
Wes 

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems. 

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


James Moore
 

All,

We have had a death in the family (on Liz's side) so I will not be there on Saturday. Just wanted to let everyone know.

James


Fred Rains
 

James - Sorry to hear about your family's loss. Let us know if we can do anything.

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 08:40:19 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:


All,

We have had a death in the family (on Liz's side) so I will not be there on Saturday. Just wanted to let everyone know.

James


Fred Rains
 

Hey there, Wes.

Lawn mower and weedeater will do most of it. There is power on site but a 15amp breaker will prevent us from plugging too many things in at once.

There is some garbage that needs to be taken to a dumpster - cardboard boxes and the like.

I'm not going to be able to make it but we can get together another time on the C14. I have posted a copy of the Gemini manual on the club site here: https://bas-astro.groups.io/g/main/files. Sections 2.3, 2.4, and 5   will get you going. There is also a Powerpoint presentation on the C14 basics and a copy of the Televue Eyepiece calculator results for the C14 and various eyepieces. The handset battery has been replaced and if it the mount has not been moved since the last time all we'll need to do is start it up with a "warm restart" and be good to go. One thing to check will be the time to be sure the internal handset clock is close enough to the actual time. The location, mount type, etc. will not need to be reentered. There is no GPS connected but this won't be needed since its a permanent mount.

Jeff Messenger wants to get together on the C14 as well. Let's plan on getting up there on a clear night before long. DST is about to drop out and that will help.

Thanks!

Fred



On Friday, October 16, 2020, 05:25:22 PM CDT, Wes Donahoo <yourdominospizza@...> wrote:


Are there any specific materials/tools that are needed for tomorrow? I believe there are several cans of wasp spray there. I'll bring some ant killers. Also, is there any chance someone will be there tomorrow that can show me around the C14? 

Thanks,
Wes 

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems. 

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


Sterling DeRamus
 

What time are we starting?


On Oct 16, 2020, at 11:00 PM, Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:


Hey there, Wes.

Lawn mower and weedeater will do most of it. There is power on site but a 15amp breaker will prevent us from plugging too many things in at once.

There is some garbage that needs to be taken to a dumpster - cardboard boxes and the like.

I'm not going to be able to make it but we can get together another time on the C14. I have posted a copy of the Gemini manual on the club site here: https://bas-astro.groups.io/g/main/files. Sections 2.3, 2.4, and 5   will get you going. There is also a Powerpoint presentation on the C14 basics and a copy of the Televue Eyepiece calculator results for the C14 and various eyepieces. The handset battery has been replaced and if it the mount has not been moved since the last time all we'll need to do is start it up with a "warm restart" and be good to go. One thing to check will be the time to be sure the internal handset clock is close enough to the actual time. The location, mount type, etc. will not need to be reentered. There is no GPS connected but this won't be needed since its a permanent mount.

Jeff Messenger wants to get together on the C14 as well. Let's plan on getting up there on a clear night before long. DST is about to drop out and that will help.

Thanks!

Fred



On Friday, October 16, 2020, 05:25:22 PM CDT, Wes Donahoo <yourdominospizza@...> wrote:


Are there any specific materials/tools that are needed for tomorrow? I believe there are several cans of wasp spray there. I'll bring some ant killers. Also, is there any chance someone will be there tomorrow that can show me around the C14? 

Thanks,
Wes 

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems. 

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


Martin
 

Hi Fred
I wont be able to make it today, but i would also like to learn how to access and use the c14 so please add me to that list
Thanks
Martin


From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Fred Rains <fjrains@...>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 11:00:34 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Chandler Mountain Work Day - Saturday, October 10th
 
Hey there, Wes.

Lawn mower and weedeater will do most of it. There is power on site but a 15amp breaker will prevent us from plugging too many things in at once.

There is some garbage that needs to be taken to a dumpster - cardboard boxes and the like.

I'm not going to be able to make it but we can get together another time on the C14. I have posted a copy of the Gemini manual on the club site here: https://bas-astro.groups.io/g/main/files. Sections 2.3, 2.4, and 5   will get you going. There is also a Powerpoint presentation on the C14 basics and a copy of the Televue Eyepiece calculator results for the C14 and various eyepieces. The handset battery has been replaced and if it the mount has not been moved since the last time all we'll need to do is start it up with a "warm restart" and be good to go. One thing to check will be the time to be sure the internal handset clock is close enough to the actual time. The location, mount type, etc. will not need to be reentered. There is no GPS connected but this won't be needed since its a permanent mount.

Jeff Messenger wants to get together on the C14 as well. Let's plan on getting up there on a clear night before long. DST is about to drop out and that will help.

Thanks!

Fred



On Friday, October 16, 2020, 05:25:22 PM CDT, Wes Donahoo <yourdominospizza@...> wrote:


Are there any specific materials/tools that are needed for tomorrow? I believe there are several cans of wasp spray there. I'll bring some ant killers. Also, is there any chance someone will be there tomorrow that can show me around the C14? 

Thanks,
Wes 

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Mike and I were up there last night and Mitchel or his nephew had bush-hogged the site! It still needs a good going-over with lawn mowers and weedeaters, and the fire ants and wasps are making a last stand before the cooler weather sets in, but you can at least see the buildings now... :-)

We really put the C14 through its paces! All the usual galaxies and clusters, several Carbon stars,  five planets ( six if you count Pluto:-) ), and many multiple star systems. 

Mike bluetoothed the Gemini to his tablet and it ran great.

Transparency was good, seeing a little soft, and not a cloud in the sky.

Standouts were Mars at 300X, red red T Lyr, and a new one: Caroline's Cluster (NGC2360)

Its going to be a good fall!

Fred

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


Just a reminder -- we're planning on having our rescheduled CMO work day this Saturday, October 17th. Bring what you can, when you can to help us clean up the site! The weather should be very pleasant and as Sterling has already pointed out, the observing should be outstanding that evening. 

Thanks! -- James


Aaron Williams
 

It’s my wife’s birthday weekend, so it would probably be best for my marriage to not abandon her with the kids. Hopefully next new moon!

-Aaron


Sterling DeRamus
 

Bring her up!


On Oct 17, 2020, at 10:55 AM, Aaron Williams <mountainbiker856@...> wrote:

It’s my wife’s birthday weekend, so it would probably be best for my marriage to not abandon her with the kids. Hopefully next new moon!

-Aaron


Aaron Williams
 

We’re actually talking about getting a used camper in a year or two, once some the people who bought campers for Covid try to offload them. Then we could camp at Horse Pens 40 for Chandler meetings. 

-Aaron