Topics

CMO tonight

Sterling DeRamus

It’s looking fairly good. Need to see if the transparency improves, but I think it will be good enough.

Anyone else?

It’ll be a good night to see the comet! I bet we’d see it well with the C-14.

Join us. And if anyone has not been there yet and needs help finding it.

Martin

Im in, also want to take some Jup and Sat pictures
Martin

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 11:08:11 AM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: [bas-astro] CMO tonight

It’s looking fairly good.  Need to see if the transparency improves, but I think it will be good enough.

Anyone else?

Join us.  And if anyone has not been there yet and needs help finding it.

Sterling DeRamus

At least 4 of us so far. 

On Jul 18, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Martin <Mrodri2@...> wrote:

Martin

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...>

It’s looking fairly good.  Need to see if the transparency improves, but I think it will be good enough.

Anyone else?

Bob Sieber

See you there!

On Jul 18, 2020, at 2:14 PM, Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:

At least 4 of us so far. 

On Jul 18, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Martin <Mrodri2@...> wrote:

Martin

Anyone else?

Don Waters

What is the status of the CMO field? Is it open as before? Are there restrictions due to new owner?
Don Waters

Sterling DeRamus

Nope. Same as ever. 

On Jul 20, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Don Waters <donwaters201@...> wrote:

What is the status of the CMO field? Is it open as before? Are there restrictions due to new owner?
Don Waters

Don Waters

Thanks. I haven't been going out, partially due to not knowing about that, partially due to the virus, and partially due to the fact that I am working on new setups and guiding that I can practice from my driveway. BTW, the initial effort with f1.9 Hyperstar looks promising with 15 second trial exposures of star fields. 25x faster!
Don

Robert Pitt

Hello Don. You may be interested in the attached object list I put together for (generally) large objects that may be of interest with your Hyperstar setup.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Waters
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 09:15 AM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] CMO tonight

Thanks. I haven't been going out, partially due to not knowing about that, partially due to the virus, and partially due to the fact that I am working on new setups and guiding that I can practice from my driveway. BTW, the initial effort with f1.9 Hyperstar looks promising with 15 second trial exposures of star fields. 25x faster!
Don

Don Waters

Many thanks, Bob, however, I ran into a small problem.. The next evening was to be clear, so I left it out overnight covered with a light sun screen fabric. A sudden shower came up in the AM and the wind blew the scope over and fractured the correctly plate! With my Meade, the wind never effected it, so I was shocked that the Celestron was apparently so top heavy! Anyway, delivery of a new one is 4-5 weeks away. I might find another online.

I did a good image a star field just for a test. 15" at ISO 800. Worked well.

Don

Robert Pitt

Oh my, sorry to hear that Don. I had various scopes blow over (my large binos at Okie Tex on my first light with it and broke the mount, and my 18UC several times until I learned I didn’t need to put on the light shroud if breezy….). I got a scopebuggy for my “portable” scopes at home so I can wheel in inside easily (but have to realign it each time). Expensive lessons… If you broke the 9-1/4 edge hyperstar optics, I have one that I don’t need and would sell at low cost (since I have moved to RASAs).

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Waters
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 08:35 AM

Many thanks, Bob, however, I ran into a small problem.. The next evening was to be clear, so I left it out overnight covered with a light sun screen fabric. A sudden shower came up in the AM and the wind blew the scope over and fractured the correctly plate! With my Meade, the wind never effected it, so I was shocked that the Celestron was apparently so top heavy! Anyway, delivery of a new one is 4-5 weeks away. I might find another online.

Don

Sterling DeRamus

Yeah, that is scary!  I must be careful in the future.

On Jul 23, 2020, at 12:51 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Oh my, sorry to hear that Don. I had various scopes blow over (my large binos at Okie Tex on my first light with it and broke the mount, and my 18UC several times until I learned I didn’t need to put on the light shroud if breezy….). I got a scopebuggy for my “portable” scopes at home so I can wheel in inside easily (but have to realign it each time). Expensive lessons… If you broke the 9-1/4 edge hyperstar optics, I have one that I don’t need and would sell at low cost (since I have moved to RASAs).

Regards,

Bob

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 08:35 AM

Don

Don Waters

Thanks, Bob, but I had removed the Hyperstar before covering. Although, wish I had known  about your Hyperstar before I bought my new one. Never a problem with my 18" UC, even with the winds at Okie-Tex. I keep the shroud, but tether it down in the direction of the wind and keep it low. Just never expected the Celestron to have any issue. My Meade's on semi-permanent rollers, but I got the Celestron to be portable. Maybe a rolling stand would be a good idea. Suggestions? I'm going to order a new 9.25, but delivery is 5+ weeks. (Maybe)

Hope to get the 10" Mede out for some  planetary webcam with Jupiter and Saturn soon. I've got a new ASI290 with smaller pixels, and I hope to get better resolution, but not quite sure of the calculations for optimal arc sec / pixel with the Meade for planetary. I  may be oversampling.

Don

Robert Pitt

My 18 UC went over during use when a “breeze” caught the sail… especially when nearly straight up as I was changing eyepieces. No shroud if windy and no issue. After viewing, I cover it and use bungee cord to secure it and lock it as far down (level to ground) as possible, but let it weathervane (if lock rotation, it can roll over as the wind direction changes, but if severe weather, I take off the upper cage and the truss poles and just leave the base wrapped up). Never damaged anything, except for the alt encoder the first time before I reinforced it. I use a ScopeBuggy for the wheels on my SCT/RASA scopes. JMI also sells them. Get one that fits (if over-sized, you will be tripping over the contraption!). Over-sampling is not a sin. You can always use binning if the seeing conditions are not as good as you would like. You will probably be using a barlow to increase mag for planets anyways, so good to have the smaller pixels available for planets.

Regards,
Bob

Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 09:45 AM

Thanks, Bob, but I had removed the Hyperstar before covering. Although, wish I had known  about your Hyperstar before I bought my new one. Never a problem with my 18" UC, even with the winds at Okie-Tex. I keep the shroud, but tether it down in the direction of the wind and keep it low. Just never expected the Celestron to have any issue. My Meade's on semi-permanent rollers, but I got the Celestron to be portable. Maybe a rolling stand would be a good idea. Suggestions? I'm going to order a new 9.25, but delivery is 5+ weeks. (Maybe)

Hope to get the 10" Mede out for some  planetary webcam with Jupiter and Saturn soon. I've got a new ASI290 with smaller pixels, and I hope to get better resolution, but not quite sure of the calculations for optimal arc sec / pixel with the Meade for planetary. I  may be oversampling.

Don

Robert Pitt

Don:

I have the first version of the 11 inch RASA available for a new home at a very good price, if interested…. It has a funky focuser and not suitable for focus motors (as it is very stiff). The f/2.2 optics are excellent though!

Regards,

Bob

Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 09:45 AM

Don