Topics

Deerlick Astronomy Village

Bob Sieber

Many members know the Deerlick Astronomy Village in Georgia as the site of the annual PeachState Stargaze.  I recently purchased a field membership at Deerlick so I could join friends from the Atlanta area for observing and imaging.  An annual membership costs only $35 with an additional charge of $5 a night for camping—quite a bargain.  The observing field has many concrete pads plus ample power outlets.  Wi-fi is also available and there is a covered shelter with picnic tables plus three bathrooms with showers.  The only disadvantage is the drive time of 4-and-a-half to 5 hours, depending on Atlanta traffic.  The village is located in Taliaferro County [pronounced tol-i-fer] with a population of about 1800 and dropping.  This is a good location for anyone who can find a few days to pack up and go.  Given the distance, I have only used the site when the weather forecast justifies the trip.  The nearest sizable town is Washington, GA about a twenty-five minute drive where there are a few restaurants and supermarkets.  If something breaks [may God forbid!] a Home Depot is about 45 minutes away in Greensboro, GA.

The following link provides information on Deerlick in case any members are interested.

All the best and clear skies!

I agree.

I have been a member for many years and visited often when I lived in GA, but have not gone recently. I prefer it to French Camp and it is about the same distance. I hope to visit more after my new equipment arrives.

Don Waters