From: "Wes Donahoo"
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Sent: Monday March 15 2021 4:12:00PM
Subject: [bas-astro] Eyepieces

I have a hypothetical question. If you have one eyepiece (20mm 100°), and looking for your second... What eyepiece would it be?

CMason

It would depend on which hypothetical scope you'd use it with. 😁 I'd suggest looking for a higher power eyepiece; 4 - 8mm depending on the scope.

Clark

On 3/15/2021 5:11 PM, Wes Donahoo wrote:
I have a hypothetical question. If you have one eyepiece (20mm 100°), and looking for your second... What eyepiece would it be?

Fred Rains

Here you go. This will give you an answer: the Televue Eyepiece Calculator

On Monday, March 15, 2021, 5:35 PM, CMason <cmason@...> wrote:

It would depend on which hypothetical scope you'd use it with. 😁 I'd suggest looking for a higher power eyepiece; 4 - 8mm depending on the scope.

Clark

On 3/15/2021 5:11 PM, Wes Donahoo wrote:
I have a hypothetical question. If you have one eyepiece (20mm 100°), and looking for your second... What eyepiece would it be?

Wes Donahoo

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021, 6:06 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Here you go. This will give you an answer: the Televue Eyepiece Calculator

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=212&plain=TRUE

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, March 15, 2021, 5:35 PM, CMason <cmason@...> wrote:

It would depend on which hypothetical scope you'd use it with. 😁 I'd suggest looking for a higher power eyepiece; 4 - 8mm depending on the scope.

Clark

On 3/15/2021 5:11 PM, Wes Donahoo wrote:
I have a hypothetical question. If you have one eyepiece (20mm 100°), and looking for your second... What eyepiece would it be?

Sterling DeRamus

My go to eye piece is my 40 mm plossl.  Only if I need to go in deep do I pull out my 14mm Meade UWA. You don’t need wide angle at 40mm.

On Mar 15, 2021, at 7:21 PM, Wes Donahoo <yourdominospizza@...> wrote:

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021, 6:06 PM Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:
Here you go. This will give you an answer: the Televue Eyepiece Calculator

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=212&plain=TRUE

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, March 15, 2021, 5:35 PM, CMason <cmason@...> wrote:

It would depend on which hypothetical scope you'd use it with. 😁 I'd suggest looking for a higher power eyepiece; 4 - 8mm depending on the scope.

Clark

On 3/15/2021 5:11 PM, Wes Donahoo wrote:
I have a hypothetical question. If you have one eyepiece (20mm 100°), and looking for your second... What eyepiece would it be?

Bob Sieber

Hello Wes.  I am late in responding to your e-mail.  Answering you query depends on what kind of observing you do along with the focal length of your scope.  Lately I find myself using three eyepieces most often…a 17.3mm Delos; a 12mm Nagler Type 4 [no longer made, but replaced with a 13mm Type 6] and 6mm Delos.  Theses eyepieces are used with a 5.1 inch refractor [fl 780mm].  So, these oculars provide 45, 65 and 130 power.  After I bought many eyepieces I heard Al Nagler give a talk on why you only need a few.  Too late for me!  For planetary work I have found that older Plossl designs work well with barlow lenses—not sure why.  Again, this is for a refractor.  The Televue website contains a number of good articles on eyepiece selection and other considerations [attached link.]

Good luck!