Frank's Point of View new RV park near Ashland

Kurt Edwards

I wanted to share a picture of a new RV park that we found close to Ashland, Alabama (about a half hour past Sylacauga) that has fairly dark skies called Frank's Point of View.  The proprietors were very friendly even showing me how to remove the LED lights at the campsites for better viewing.  We went there this past weekend.  There are only 8 spots, so it is fairly quiet and out of the way.  I set up my telescope and got some video on Mercury and pictures of M81 for later processing.  My wife Connie also took some 20 second exposures of the Milky Way and she edited the raw file and then in Photoshop.  It was taken with a Nikon Z7 with 18 mm zoom lens on a travel tripod with no tracking.

Kurt Edwards

Aaron Williams

Nice shot! I’ll have to check that area out

-Aaron

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:13 AM Kurt Edwards <kurt@...> wrote:
I wanted to share a picture of a new RV park that we found close to Ashland, Alabama (about a half hour past Sylacauga) that has fairly dark skies called Frank's Point of View.  The proprietors were very friendly even showing me how to remove the LED lights at the campsites for better viewing.  We went there this past weekend.  There are only 8 spots, so it is fairly quiet and out of the way.  I set up my telescope and got some video on Mercury and pictures of M81 for later processing.  My wife Connie also took some 20 second exposures of the Milky Way and she edited the raw file and then in Photoshop.  It was taken with a Nikon Z7 with 18 mm zoom lens on a travel tripod with no tracking.

Kurt Edwards

Found it on google earth and the light pollution Map. It’s at 33 11 22 and 85 52 27. SqM of 21.66 and Bortle scale 4. Artificial brightness of 62 compared to CMO 170. So better for sure.

On May 19, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Aaron Williams <Mountainbiker856@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Susan Buchanan

Wow great pic

On May 19, 2021, at 2:16 PM, Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Hinke

I was intrigued by Sterling’s mention of the light pollution map. After I figured out how to get lat/long from Google Earth  and plug the correct decimal versions into the light pollution map, I first confirmed that I was using it correctly by getting the same Artificial brightness figures that Sterling got. Then I was wondering how good could it get. So while perhaps not the absolute best but close, I checked to see what the Artificial brightness was for the telescopes on the top of Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii and found that it was 3.21, which as Sterling noted, compares to 62.2 at Franks point of view,  170 at CMO, and 1980 at my home in the very southern part of Jefferson county just a little north of the Cahaba river.

Thanks Sterling. I had not been aware of the light pollution map before reading your message.

Tom