M101 fireworks

Robert Pitt

and here is how I spent last night in my light-polluted backyard. I have been trying to compare different sub durations (10, 5, 3, and 1 min) all for an hr total to see if skyglow blew things out. This is the 10 min version (tossed out 2 subs one was too close to dusk and another had an odd bounce in the tracking) for a total of 40 min. Celestron 9.25 f/10 with ASI 2400 OSC with Optolong LPro filter, cropped to about 1/4 of full frame. Crudely processed with PixInsight, photoshop, and Topaz de-noise. Had to manually erase a couple of satellite trails. Going to try for another 3 hrs tonight!

Wow. You folks are getting good at this. And from the suburbs! Nice!

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 07:21:25 PM CDT, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

and here is how I spent last night in my light-polluted backyard. I have been trying to compare different sub durations (10, 5, 3, and 1 min) all for an hr total to see if skyglow blew things out. This is the 10 min version (tossed out 2 subs one was too close to dusk and another had an odd bounce in the tracking) for a total of 40 min. Celestron 9.25 f/10 with ASI 2400 OSC with Optolong LPro filter, cropped to about 1/4 of full frame. Crudely processed with PixInsight, photoshop, and Topaz de-noise. Had to manually erase a couple of satellite trails. Going to try for another 3 hrs tonight!

thanks Fred, a bit too greenish/yellowish so hopefully when I reprocess with more data I will get better color.

Wow. You folks are getting good at this. And from the suburbs! Nice!

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 07:21:25 PM CDT, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

and here is how I spent last night in my light-polluted backyard. I have been trying to compare different sub durations (10, 5, 3, and 1 min) all for an hr total to see if skyglow blew things out. This is the 10 min version (tossed out 2 subs one was too close to dusk and another had an odd bounce in the tracking) for a total of 40 min. Celestron 9.25 f/10 with ASI 2400 OSC with Optolong LPro filter, cropped to about 1/4 of full frame. Crudely processed with PixInsight, photoshop, and Topaz de-noise. Had to manually erase a couple of satellite trails. Going to try for another 3 hrs tonight!

I kinda like these colors.  Typically M101 pics seem colorless.  This is a nice change.  Very good.

On Jul 4, 2021, at 10:39 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

thanks Fred, a bit too greenish/yellowish so hopefully when I reprocess with more data I will get better color.

Wow. You folks are getting good at this. And from the suburbs! Nice!

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 07:21:25 PM CDT, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

and here is how I spent last night in my light-polluted backyard. I have been trying to compare different sub durations (10, 5, 3, and 1 min) all for an hr total to see if skyglow blew things out. This is the 10 min version (tossed out 2 subs one was too close to dusk and another had an odd bounce in the tracking) for a total of 40 min. Celestron 9.25 f/10 with ASI 2400 OSC with Optolong LPro filter, cropped to about 1/4 of full frame. Crudely processed with PixInsight, photoshop, and Topaz de-noise. Had to manually erase a couple of satellite trails. Going to try for another 3 hrs tonight!

Thanks for the comment Sterling.