Topics

Messier Marathon Challenge

Fred Rains

I challenge you all to a Secluded Messier Marathon.

Since we can't get together again this year, let's "see" what we can do from our own homes. I tried this last year and saw 33 of the 55 objects that could be seen from here on Valleydale - lots of trees, mountains, houses, street lights, and the Great Hoover Light Dome to the Northwest!

Last year I used my little 89mm Mak just for fun. This year I'm going to use a bigger scope :-)

Saturday, March 13th is the primary date and there will be no Moon that night. Back-up date is the next weekend.

Here's my report from last year off of the SEDS site.

Also from the SEDS site, all the info on this years Messier Marathon can be found from the link below.

We can compare notes during the monthly meeting on the following Tuesday night,  March 16th.

Thanks,

Fred

Wayne Eads

Fred, here's an online tool I found that looks to be very helpful in planning the observing sequence. I ran it for Birmingham and it produce a nice table with thumb nail images, viewing order, and notes for each object... unfortunately I couldn't get my phone to save the table as a pdf or I would have included it.

If I get a chance to give it a go on the 13th this should help out.

https://calgary.rasc.ca/darksky/messierplanner.htm

Wayne

I challenge you all to a Secluded Messier Marathon.

Since we can't get together again this year, let's "see" what we can do from our own homes. I tried this last year and saw 33 of the 55 objects that could be seen from here on Valleydale - lots of trees, mountains, houses, street lights, and the Great Hoover Light Dome to the Northwest!

Last year I used my little 89mm Mak just for fun. This year I'm going to use a bigger scope :-)

Saturday, March 13th is the primary date and there will be no Moon that night. Back-up date is the next weekend.

Here's my report from last year off of the SEDS site.

Also from the SEDS site, all the info on this years Messier Marathon can be found from the link below.

We can compare notes during the monthly meeting on the following Tuesday night,  March 16th.

Thanks,

Wayne, this is a pretty slick program.

Thank you, sir.

Fred