Topics

naked eye comet!

Robert Pitt

Just came across this news item (almost due north, currently close to horizon, but will elevate as the month goes on):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/07/06/how-to-see-comet-neowise-from-your-backyard-this-week/#352746cf496f

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

Sterling DeRamus

Yup. Need to get up around five am to see it.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Just came across this news item (almost due north, currently close to horizon, but will elevate as the month goes on):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/07/06/how-to-see-comet-neowise-from-your-backyard-this-week/#352746cf496f

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

Martin

Saw it from the hills in Vestavia this AM, at 450-510, fog and light pollution over downtown didn't help, but with binoculars easily seen, nice tail, beautiful

Martin Rodriguez

Yup. Need to get up around five am to see it.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Just came across this news item (almost due north, currently close to horizon, but will elevate as the month goes on):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/07/06/how-to-see-comet-neowise-from-your-backyard-this-week/#352746cf496f

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

John

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Don Waters

Very nice. Thank you. Saturday AM is supposed to be clear so I hope to be up.
Don Waters

Wayne Eads

Very nice shot. I'm hoping to get a look and maybe a picture of it.

Wayne Eads

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Attachments:

Kevin W. Yates

Awesome!!!! Well done.

On Jul 10, 2020, at 6:35 AM, John via groups.io <jmaxmill@...> wrote:

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Nice photos!

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Yeah.  Thinking of getting up about 3:30 and driving to near Cheaha for a look.

On Jul 10, 2020, at 11:32 AM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Nice photos!

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Around 5 am there should barely be a dawn and the comet will be about mag 1.8. Almost as bright as capella which will be just above it. I think a 3 second shot with a wide field will be a good pic.  Or is that too long?

On Jul 10, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Sterling DeRamus via groups.io <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:

Yeah.  Thinking of getting up about 3:30 and driving to near Cheaha for a look.

On Jul 10, 2020, at 11:32 AM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Nice photos!

Photographed it just a couple hours ago on Sand Mountain...

Attachments:

Martin

Pictures from CMO this AM
Worth the drive
Martin

Yup. Need to get up around five am to see it.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Just came across this news item (almost due north, currently close to horizon, but will elevate as the month goes on):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/07/06/how-to-see-comet-neowise-from-your-backyard-this-week/#352746cf496f

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

Very nice, Martin!  Several of us went out to the Cheaha Parkway to an overlook that had a great view to the northeast. Wayne got some really good pictures.  I haven’t processed mine.

On Jul 11, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Martin <Mrodri2@...> wrote:

Pictures from CMO this AM
Worth the drive
Martin

Yup. Need to get up around five am to see it.

On Jul 8, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Just came across this news item (almost due north, currently close to horizon, but will elevate as the month goes on):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/07/06/how-to-see-comet-neowise-from-your-backyard-this-week/#352746cf496f

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

I saw it from Pelham early Saturday morning standing at the back of one of the new neighborhoods being constructed. It was gorgeous!

Jim Tucker

I’m not skilled at AP (though thinking about it getting into it) but this shot is from the Hoover Met parking lot yesterday morning, Saturday, July 11, at 4:52am.  Canon EOS m50 with kit zoom set to 45mm f/6.3, 1.3 sec, ISO 1600

Robert Pitt

Nice! Can see the scale too.