Topics

New Member Greetings

Tony

Greetings to everyone! My name is Tony. I’m looking forward to meeting in person sometime in the near future post Covid. I thought I’d share a “poster” I made from shots I took this past month of Mars. I think I’ve been having too much fun as I made a labelled albedo map of the photos too. I used a 203mm Newtonian, a Powermate 5x, and ZWO ASI 178mc, Pipp, AutoStakkert3, Registax, and a little PS. I know using the PM5x with my 8 inch is oversampling, but I did binning on some. First time trying, eh. -   Anyway, I was happy with the photos I got. Now its time to try some deep sky targets with my dslr.

Sterling DeRamus

Welcome, Tony. Great shots. 

On Nov 8, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Tony <mineralmanager@...> wrote:

Greetings to everyone! My name is Tony. I’m looking forward to meeting in person sometime in the near future post Covid. I thought I’d share a “poster” I made from shots I took this past month of Mars. I think I’ve been having too much fun as I made a labelled albedo map of the photos too. I used a 203mm Newtonian, a Powermate 5x, and ZWO ASI 178mc, Pipp, AutoStakkert3, Registax, and a little PS. I know using the PM5x with my 8 inch is oversampling, but I did binning on some. First time trying, eh. -   Anyway, I was happy with the photos I got. Now its time to try some deep sky targets with my dslr.

Attachments:

Martin

Very nice!

Martin Rodriguez

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Tony <mineralmanager@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 3:47 AM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: [bas-astro] New Member Greetings

Attachments:

Robert Pitt

Impressive Tony!

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 9:48 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io

Attachments:

Mark Copper

Nice work!

Myron Wasiuta

Excellent work Tony! Beautiful images. 

Dr. Myron Wasiuta
President- MSRO Science, Inc
Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory 
Wilderness, VA USA

On Nov 8, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Martin <Mrodri2@...> wrote:

Very nice!

Martin Rodriguez

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Tony <mineralmanager@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 3:47 AM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>

Attachments:

Aaron Williams

Greetings Tony! Great shots, looking forward to meeting in person.

-Aaron

James Moore

Tony,

Nicely done! Thank you for sharing the images. Welcome to the group!

James

Kurt Edwards

Nicely done, Tony.  I have been enjoying your pictures of Mars on Facebook.  I do have an amateur astronomy question.  How do you figure out the magnitude of each of these pictures?

Kurt Edwards

Tony

Kurt,

The camera calculates and places in the metadata file.  I  also double check on the Mars profiler page located here: https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/mars_profiler/mars.html  Just change the date and put at the correct time.
Here is a snip from the camera metadata file:

FireCapture v2.6  Settings
------------------------------------
Camera=ZWO ASI178MC
Filter=L
Profile=Mars
Diameter=19.65"
Magnitude=-2.07
CM=85.6°  (during mid of capture)
FocalLength=6100mm
Resolution=0.08"
Filename=Mars_001241.ser
Date=031120
Start=001041.640

Tony

Tony

Kurt,

It would have been more accurate to have said that the camera software calculates.  Since It's not connected to the internet, I assume (dangerous)  it calculates.  Unless it has an ephemeris database it pulls from.?.

Anyone else know?  Bueller?

Tony