Topics

New Physics chair/planetarium director at Samford

James Moore

Hello, everyone!

This is to let you know that Dr. Don Olive has been named physics chair at Samford University. He will also be serving as the planetarium director. More importantly, he has also agreed to be our sponsor on campus!

Don has been very involved in local astronomy clubs in the past, so he is looking forward to being an actve part of BAS as well. Hopefully he will have the opportunity to make an appearance at our meeting this month.

In other news, the campus is still closed to outside groups. We have reassurances from both Dr. Olive and Dr. Hands that once campus reopens we will be welcome to resume meeting in the planetarium. Until then we'll continue to meet virtually.

Clear skies! -- James

Fred Rains

Great news!

Thanks, James!

On Monday, September 7, 2020, 11:17:59 AM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

This is to let you know that Dr. Don Olive has been named physics chair at Samford University. He will also be serving as the planetarium director. More importantly, he has also agreed to be our sponsor on campus!

Don has been very involved in local astronomy clubs in the past, so he is looking forward to being an actve part of BAS as well. Hopefully he will have the opportunity to make an appearance at our meeting this month.

In other news, the campus is still closed to outside groups. We have reassurances from both Dr. Olive and Dr. Hands that once campus reopens we will be welcome to resume meeting in the planetarium. Until then we'll continue to meet virtually.

Clear skies! -- James

Robert Pitt

Great news James! If possible, hopefully we can also have a zoom connection for virtual broadcast after the planetarium is available for those not able to attend the meeting in person?

This is to let you know that Dr. Don Olive has been named physics chair at Samford University. He will also be serving as the planetarium director. More importantly, he has also agreed to be our sponsor on campus!

Don has been very involved in local astronomy clubs in the past, so he is looking forward to being an actve part of BAS as well. Hopefully he will have the opportunity to make an appearance at our meeting this month.

In other news, the campus is still closed to outside groups. We have reassurances from both Dr. Olive and Dr. Hands that once campus reopens we will be welcome to resume meeting in the planetarium. Until then we'll continue to meet virtually.

Clear skies! -- James

James Moore

That's in the works, Bob! We definitely want to continue to expand our "footprint" on the Education/Public Outreach side.

Tyra, Howard R (GE Healthcare)

Boy that’s great! Now if we can get the Chinese tofix their mess.
James sometime when you can if you would get his email and I will put him on our honorary roll so he can the Astronomical League magazine and Sterling could include him if he want to get on our list serv.
Great info, kinda felt naked without a planetarium to go to.
Clear Skies
Rick

On Sep 7, 2020, at 5:07 PM, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

That's in the works, Bob! We definitely want to continue to expand our "footprint" on the Education/Public Outreach side.

James Moore

Ricky,

Thank you for the reminder! I sent his contact information this afternoon both to you and to Sterling.