Topics

New poster looking for best place to see Neowise in Birmingham AL

ljelley1@...

Hi, I'm new here and am looking for somewhere to view the comet in or around Birmingham or central Alabama. I don't have any equipment but am considering buying some binoculars or a cheap telescope to view it. I tried looking for it out side my house (Hoover, Ross Bridge Road) but there was too much light pollution to see anything last night. Also tried going up to shades crest Tip Top grill and there were some other people trying to do the same, but way too much light.

I am willing to drive to go and see it. I know over the next few days it will make it's closest approach to earth and really want to see it. I have always been interested in stargazing and usually try to catch the meteor showers when it is clear, but I am a true beginner to this hobby. Would love some advice.

Thanks,
Wayne

Sterling DeRamus

Lots of places. I saw it and photographed it last night above Birmingham but it took binoculars to see it. Faint but beautiful. Looked like an exploding star.

The club has a dark spot on Chandler mountain that we were at on Saturday night but it was cloudy. You might try there. Virtually any dark spot where you’ve got a clean view to the northwest. But do hurry. It’s fading every day.

On Jul 20, 2020, at 6:59 PM, ljelley1@... wrote:

Hi, I'm new here and am looking for somewhere to view the comet in or around Birmingham or central Alabama. I don't have any equipment but am considering buying some binoculars or a cheap telescope to view it. I tried looking for it out side my house (Hoover, Ross Bridge Road) but there was too much light pollution to see anything last night. Also tried going up to shades crest Tip Top grill and there were some other people trying to do the same, but way too much light.

I am willing to drive to go and see it. I know over the next few days it will make it's closest approach to earth and really want to see it. I have always been interested in stargazing and usually try to catch the meteor showers when it is clear, but I am a true beginner to this hobby. Would love some advice.

Thanks,
Wayne

Kurt Edwards

If you do not mind a bit of a drive, I went to a good place Friday night with a good clear view to the northwest.  It is a pulloff close to Mount Cheaha.  Latitude 33 deg 24'49.2" N, Longitude 85 deg 52'30.3" W on county road 281.