Topics

New scope and mount.

Sterling DeRamus

Of course it’ll now be cloudy for the next few months.

Craig Brooks

We feel your pain. We added an Orion Apex 90mm Mak and an Orion Sirius EQ-G to our collection. New toys and no where to play with them.

So tell us more. Which scope and mount are those? I'm not overly familiar with Explore Scientific equipment.

Sterling DeRamus

ES 127 apochromatic  and the ioptron ieq 45.

On Feb 25, 2018, at 3:20 PM, hunternbama@... [bas-astro] <bas-astro@...> wrote:

We feel your pain. We added an Orion Apex 90mm Mak and an Orion Sirius EQ-G to our collection. New toys and no where to play with them.

So tell us more. Which scope and mount are those? I'm not overly familiar with Explore Scientific equipment.

Craig Brooks

Holy cow. And I thought our new mount was getting serious.

That's quite a setup. I'd be very intrrested in seeing the final results. Are planning to travel with this rig, or is it strictly for your home observations?

We have no choice but to travel due to the trees and light pollution of our home. We're hoping that we have a good night at an upcoming CMO party. We have a fast 130mm reflector for DSOs and the Mak for lunar and planetary. I think we're still a bit far out from stepping up to a large aperture Apo.

Don Waters

I am thinking of ordering an iOptron for my 9.25" Celestron.

1) How do you like yours? Pros and cons?
2) Did you look at the new CEM70?
3) did you get the iGuider?
4) Other

Don

Robert Pitt

Hello Don:

Which mount do you use now for the 9-1/4? I am addicted to the Celestron star sense for automatic mapping. I have a CGEM that came with my 9-1/4 and will be using it with my 8 inch RASA for my portable setup. I also have a CGXL for the 11 inch RASA and an older Software Bisque ME in my dome at home. I do have an older iOptron cube AZ mount that I have used with a small 6 inch scope and was impressed with its ease of use. I also use it with my solar scope. I just set up level and it autoaligns, at least for visual use. I also have their iPolar electronic polar alignment rig I use with a camera tracker that works very well (a bit fiddly to connect), but when it works, its much better than the PoleStar I think. The C70G looks great and a good price too.

I am thinking of ordering an iOptron for my 9.25" Celestron.

1) How do you like yours? Pros and cons?
2) Did you look at the new CEM70?
3) did you get the iGuider?
4) Other

Don

Don Waters

I am currently using an old CG-5 that I ordered with my Lunt 80 some years ago. It's okay, and I don't have a great deal of experience with it at night, but it seems a little flaky. Tracking drifts, so I have to re-center the object over a 15-20 minute time. The object stays in the FOV, but gets off-center and makes the stacked image vary in blackness. It aligns well after adding 3-4 calibration stars, but the initial alignment star is 3-4 degrees off. The power cord is loose and falls out, so I have ordered the 5 amp with a screw on connector. I have not done a drift alignment or other method of getting PA closer, but 6 stars seem like enough. I guess, that might eliminate the drift.