new site owners and RE: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Robert Pitt

Hello folks:

Just got back from Chandler. The issue was the door to the Sirius dome. The latch apparently sprung open during high winds (the latch is a swing latch, but apparently has little overlap). No internals and hopefully no critters. I put on a hasp and padlock that definitely won’t blow open! But need to get an extra key to Fred. I wandered around the other buildings and saw no issues.

Mr. Jenkins came by to talk to me. He is not doing well and having a hard time moving around. We now have new landowners. Joshua and Jeremy(?) Smith bought 33 acres from him recently, including the observatory area (the buildings were even included in the purchase survey). Secondhand comment is that we will still be able to continue use of the site (they expressed an interest in viewing!). The Smith’s mowed around the viewing area and Mr. Jenkins did some edging work (that’s when he noticed the open door, that he then closed and jammed shut with a board). He also invited anyone to pick some sweet corn near his house (ready now)! It is the four rows on the side towards his house.

Regards,

Bob

Robert Pitt, P.E., Ph.D. BCEE, D.WRE

Emeritus Cudworth Professor of Urban Water Systems

Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering

The University of Alabama

Rpittal at charter dot net

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Pitt
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 10:37 AM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Thanks Ed. I will head up mid day to see what’s up and try to deal with it.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ed
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 7:33 AM
Subject: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Mitchell Jenkens called  last evening explaining that a door on one of the observatories(he did not say which one)  was found to be open yet the door lock on the knob was locked.
He found this while cutting the grass around the site and he propped a board in front of the door to keep it shut, but he said there was a lot of expensive equipment in there and he was concerned for its safety.

This concerned him greatly and he wanted someone in the club to know. 

I told him I would let the team know.
Here it is. 

Jeff Allegrezza

Awful nice of them to mow the area!   Any of you guys know the Smiths?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:55 PM Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Hello folks:

Just got back from Chandler. The issue was the door to the Sirius dome. The latch apparently sprung open during high winds (the latch is a swing latch, but apparently has little overlap). No internals and hopefully no critters. I put on a hasp and padlock that definitely won’t blow open! But need to get an extra key to Fred. I wandered around the other buildings and saw no issues.

Mr. Jenkins came by to talk to me. He is not doing well and having a hard time moving around. We now have new landowners. Joshua and Jeremy(?) Smith bought 33 acres from him recently, including the observatory area (the buildings were even included in the purchase survey). Secondhand comment is that we will still be able to continue use of the site (they expressed an interest in viewing!). The Smith’s mowed around the viewing area and Mr. Jenkins did some edging work (that’s when he noticed the open door, that he then closed and jammed shut with a board). He also invited anyone to pick some sweet corn near his house (ready now)! It is the four rows on the side towards his house.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Pitt
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Thanks Ed. I will head up mid day to see what’s up and try to deal with it.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ed
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 7:33 AM
Subject: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Mitchell Jenkens called  last evening explaining that a door on one of the observatories(he did not say which one)  was found to be open yet the door lock on the knob was locked.
He found this while cutting the grass around the site and he propped a board in front of the door to keep it shut, but he said there was a lot of expensive equipment in there and he was concerned for its safety.

This concerned him greatly and he wanted someone in the club to know. 

I told him I would let the team know.
Here it is. 

wallace parker

Bob, I saw the message about the change of ownership at CMO and wondering about your

comment. Was our domes and our roll-of part of the sale OR just the land ? (see below)

On 8/11/2021 5:55 PM, Robert Pitt wrote:
(the buildings were even included in the purchase survey)

Robert Pitt

He mentioned that the buildings were included in the survey and land in the deed; hopefully someone can get a copy of the deed to see what was actually included and our access.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of wallace parker
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2021 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: new site owners and RE: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Bob, I saw the message about the change of ownership at CMO and wondering about your

comment. Was our domes and our roll-of part of the sale OR just the land ? (see below)

John D.

Buildings don't need to be included in a deed.  If they are attached to the land then they are considered to be a part of the land and go with the land transfer.  The exception would be if the individual buildings were condos or you had a lease for them.  Did the club not have a lease for the buildings?

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 11:34:00 AM CDT, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

He mentioned that the buildings were included in the survey and land in the deed; hopefully someone can get a copy of the deed to see what was actually included and our access.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of wallace parker
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2021 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: new site owners and RE: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.