new site owners and RE: [bas-astro] Call from Mitchell Jenkens - open door on Observatory

Robert Pitt

Hello folks:

Just got back from Chandler. The issue was the door to the Sirius dome. The latch apparently sprung open during high winds (the latch is a swing latch, but apparently has little overlap). No internals and hopefully no critters. I put on a hasp and padlock that definitely won’t blow open! But need to get an extra key to Fred. I wandered around the other buildings and saw no issues.

Mr. Jenkins came by to talk to me. He is not doing well and having a hard time moving around. We now have new landowners. Joshua and Jeremy(?) Smith bought 33 acres from him recently, including the observatory area (the buildings were even included in the purchase survey). Secondhand comment is that we will still be able to continue use of the site (they expressed an interest in viewing!). The Smith’s mowed around the viewing area and Mr. Jenkins did some edging work (that’s when he noticed the open door, that he then closed and jammed shut with a board). He also invited anyone to pick some sweet corn near his house (ready now)! It is the four rows on the side towards his house.