new tongue jack for 20" Obsession trailer

Mark Copper

Hello all,

The old jack was broken in the sense that it would not retract. I used a strap to tie it up for trip to CMO this week, but I have put on a new one on now. There's enough to keep track of when transporting this scope. The old one might be easy to repair so I haven't discarded it yet if anyone wants it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2oN9QAZV9ovqy8ei9

Mark

Mark Copper

So what this means is that the trailer is basically "road worthy" -- I repacked the bearings earlier and the tires are still less than 7 years old, I believe.

The Obsession mirrors are (relatively) clean, the drive motors and Argo Navis computer are in working order (I believe! The AA batteries died on me at CMO this week, but it worked fine earlier). There are now connections so the drive motors can be powered from a 12v powerpoint with plenty of length to reach a vehicle if desired or from a stand-alone auto battery or from a sealed battery like the one in a UPS. A Telrad is working and I reconditioned one of the laser collimators. And there is a suitcase of nice 2" eyepieces.

To keep people off the ladder or to keep people from having to share an eyepiece, the club also has (thanks again to Dr Bob) several options for electronically assisted astronomy (EAA). In particular, I've tested the Mallincam Xtreme paired with the Marshall monitor. Other options I've tested are running the Mallincam through an analog-digital converter directly to an LCD monitor and through a computer and then to the monitor to correct the aspect ratio and enable image capture. Another approach is to *start* with a digital camera. I've put a T-ring adapter on a DSLR in live mode and run it through a digital monitor for instance.

So as we emerge from the pandemic, maybe the club can find some use for this big telescope.

Robert Pitt

Thanks Mark for getting it all in shape!

Also, during one of my recent orders to Charlie Starks, I ordered another PowerPole battery connector and scope connector set (red connectors) and I have a couple of relatively large deep cycle batteries (and a trickle charger) for the scope. Can I bring them to you Mark?

[...]

Hi Bob,

Sounds great. The trailer is in the warehouse and the warehouse is open every week day, sometimes weekends, and you're more than welcome to come by. Jih-Ying and I have tentatively planned to head to New Mexico on Tuesday for a couple weeks, but I could meet you tomorrow or when we get back. Otherwise I can let Chris, who is running the warehouse, know you're coming.

Robert Pitt

Hello Mark:
I can come by mid afternoon on Monday. Can you email me the address for the warehouse?
Thanks!