November 2020 Monthly meeting

James Moore

Hello, everyone!

Just a reminder -- our monthly meeting is scheduled for Tuesday (11/17/2020). The Zoom link information is below. We have a speaker lined up for the evening (Fred) and officer elections. We'll "see" you then!

Clear skies! -- James

James Moore is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Birmingham Astronomical Society

Time: Nov 17, 2020 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

        Every month on the Third Tue, until Apr 20, 2021, 8 occurrence(s)

        Nov 17, 2020 07:00 PM

        Dec 15, 2020 07:00 PM

        Jan 19, 2021 07:00 PM

        Feb 16, 2021 07:00 PM

        Mar 16, 2021 07:00 PM

        Apr 20, 2021 07:00 PM

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81870513470?pwd=aEpzbXMyeFBTNDZoYTdDOU1qUHZEUT09

Meeting ID: 818 7051 3470

Passcode: 872779

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,81870513470# US (Chicago)

+16465588656,,81870513470# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 818 7051 3470

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcPc0YQXqH

Don Waters

I might not make it with the clear skies tonight. I've been working with my new Hyperstar in my driveway and making good progress. I am using NGC7331 as a target as it is fairly bright and well-positioned. I have been experimenting with different gain/exposure for the ASI290, and I think I have found the range at around 15 secs. Maybe if I get set up and let the camera run, I can join for at least part of the meeting. Using my driveway, I can "hibernate" this old CG-5 mount and so it is (usually) still aligned. I find this does not always work and sometimes the mount gets confused, but it's ok - it only takes 10 minutes or so to align and add some calibration stars. I have ordered an iOptron GEM45 for a step up. One interesting thing, is the Hyperstar seems to allow light entering the eyepiece to be recorded, so I have to cover the eyepiece.

Stay safe. As you know, this virus is gaining ground. Would not be surprised if Alabama gets much worse and possibly shutdowns.

Sounds familiar Don. I have been using NGC 7243 to work on my collimation as it is in a good position and fills my frame nicely. Almost there, but just a few tweaks tonight on the tilt of the primary mirror to deal with some minor coma in one corner remaining (and hopefully I won’t make it worse). Then go over polar alignment again, and finally model the mount with about 30 stars. If I’m lucky, I might get M42 and vicinity early morning, otherwise tomorrow and thurs (better seeing then projected anyways). I might try to make the call from my observatory as I fiddle (will be a bit chilly with the breeze so keep warm!). The GEM45 sounds like a great mount, let us know how it works out. One advantage of mirrorless cameras is not having to black out the camera eyecup!