Plate solver download

Sterling DeRamus

Someone asked for a link to download the free plate solving software. Here it is:

Mark Copper

Also there is
   http://astrometry.net/
(free software) and
   http://nova.astrometry.net/
free on-line service.

Robert Pitt

Do all of these require internet connection for an on-line library of the star positions, or are the downloads self-contained so you don’t need internet?

Regards,

Bob

Robert Pitt, P.E., Ph.D. BCEE, D.WRE

Emeritus Cudworth Professor of Urban Water Systems

Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering

The University of Alabama

Rpittal at charter dot net

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Copper
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 3:29 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Subject: Re: [bas-astro] Plate solver download

Also there is
(free software) and
free on-line service.

Martin

You can download them to your computer

Martin Rodriguez

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Pitt <rpittal@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:04 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>

Do all of these require internet connection for an on-line library of the star positions, or are the downloads self-contained so you don’t need internet?

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Copper

Also there is
(free software) and
free on-line service.

Sterling DeRamus

No internet connection is required to do the plate solving. 

On Sep 22, 2021, at 4:04 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Regards,

Bob

Also there is
(free software) and
free on-line service.

Robert Pitt

Thanks! That makes them much easier to use in the field.

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sterling DeRamus
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 8:18 PM

No internet connection is required to do the plate solving. 

On Sep 22, 2021, at 4:04 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Regards,

Bob

Also there is
(free software) and
free on-line service.

Don Waters

There are many (dozens?) of star data files to choose from. There are different sections of the sky as well as different depth of magnitudes. You will be asked about your camera, scope, etc., so you may select the appropriate files. The software needs a good range of detectable stars, but not too many, so there must be reasonable match for your equipment. The download software will guide you through this. You may also set up different equipment profiles.

Once the files and software is downloaded, many programs (like SharpCap) will automatically detect it and plate solve after you slew to a target and (an option) adjust the scope to center the target.

I have used these features yet. I have only used the polar align plate solve.

I believe that this is the process ASAIIR and Software Bisque uses.

Don

Sterling DeRamus

I didn’t have to choose a data set.  I just downloaded the program and it did it.  

On Sep 23, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Don Waters <donwaters201@...> wrote:

There are many (dozens?) of star data files to choose from. There are different sections of the sky as well as different depth of magnitudes. You will be asked about your camera, scope, etc., so you may select the appropriate files. The software needs a good range of detectable stars, but not too many, so there must be reasonable match for your equipment. The download software will guide you through this. You may also set up different equipment profiles.

Once the files and software is downloaded, many programs (like SharpCap) will automatically detect it and plate solve after you slew to a target and (an option) adjust the scope to center the target.

I have used these features yet. I have only used the polar align plate solve.

I believe that this is the process ASAIIR and Software Bisque uses.

Don

Mark Copper

The plate solver I mentioned (astrometry.net) runs on *nix and OSX.

But I just noticed there is a port for MS Windows:
   https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/

Local, by the way, so no online service required.

Don Waters

Astrogb pops up a screen that asks for F.L. and pixel size and chip array size. It then selects the appropriate files for the FOV and camera and downloads them from astrometry.net.

Don

Robert Pitt

Thanks Don. Does it handle FITS files also?

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Waters
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 10:40 AM

Astrogb pops up a screen that asks for F.L. and pixel size and chip array size. It then selects the appropriate files for the FOV and camera and downloads them from astrometry.net.

Don

Sterling DeRamus

Probably, but i found it easier to do a quick jpg shot because it’s smaller in size. Raw and fits files are huge!  They will likely slow it down.  But just experiment and see how it goes.  

On Sep 24, 2021, at 10:45 AM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Waters

Don

Robert Pitt

Thanks. I ask as I was doing a meridian flip last night and the flipped field didn’t look right (no bright objects visible, just star field; Cas A narrowband), using cooled Astro camera, so no jpgs available. Thought it may be useful to do a quick and dirty plate solve. Will try that tonight.

Regards,

Bob

From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sterling DeRamus
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 10:52 AM

Probably, but i found it easier to do a quick jpg shot because it’s smaller in size. Raw and fits files are huge!  They will likely slow it down.  But just experiment and see how it goes.  

On Sep 24, 2021, at 10:45 AM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Regards,

Bob

Don

Don Waters

Yes: FITS or JPEG.

In the window where you enter the path to the file and select file, in the lower right there is a field that defaults to "File".
Once you chose your file, you must now change that field (using the dropdown) to FITS or JPEG. 

Don

davis.rick393@...

What exposure/gain setting would you recommend as a starting point in order to generate a jpg or fits file for testing out All Sky Plate Solver? I only have an ASI 290MC camera at the moment…I realize this cam is designed for planetary imaging mainly but I should be able to also generate stills of star fields shouldn’t I?

Don Waters

The programs I have seen say 5-10 secs, but that will depend a little on focal. Nice round stars, and not overexposed is what I try for (though I am still experimenting).

I have an ASI290MC and I have not used it for this, but I think it should work fine. 

If you are just starting, BE SURE you enter all data about chip and scope correctly entered. The program can get fussy over settings.

You can upload an image here to test.
Astrometry.net

Don

davis.rick393@...

Thanks Don!

Sterling DeRamus

So just experimenting today, I notice it does work best with JPG instead of FITS files.  It will not do straight RAW files.  It gives an error on RAW files, but just can't seem to handle FITS files.  That may be because I shoot in RAW and then the software I am using converts them to FITS, so I am not sure if I am doing it right.  But JPG it gets them pretty much right away.  Need at least half way decent focus.  Make sure you have the proper focal length for your scope.  I have shot a few widefield shots and then I have two other scopes Ive been using.  So I have to remember to change the settings each time or it won't work.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 9:30 AM <davis.rick393@...> wrote:
Thanks Don!

Robert Pitt

I couldn’t get it to work on my fits files either. Will try to convert some to jpgs and give it another try.

Regards,

Bob

Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 1:04 PM

So just experimenting today, I notice it does work best with JPG instead of FITS files.  It will not do straight RAW files.  It gives an error on RAW files, but just can't seem to handle FITS files.  That may be because I shoot in RAW and then the software I am using converts them to FITS, so I am not sure if I am doing it right.  But JPG it gets them pretty much right away.  Need at least half way decent focus.  Make sure you have the proper focal length for your scope.  I have shot a few widefield shots and then I have two other scopes Ive been using.  So I have to remember to change the settings each time or it won't work.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 9:30 AM <davis.rick393@...> wrote:

Thanks Don!

Don Waters

Bob,

Have you used the "Settings Assistant" on ASPS? It is shown under "Settings", then "Settings Assistant" and will calculate the effective f.l. and pixel size.

On my scope, I used the calculated focal length and this assistant came back with a correction that reduced effective focal length by about 10%. No explanation, but my plate solve now works. Point being, it might not be the image but the settings. 

Don