From: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io> on behalf of James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...>
Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 1:41 PM
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io <main@bas-astro.groups.io>
Subject: [bas-astro] Public Star Parties and the COVID-19 Delta Variant

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

John D.

If we are outdoors and spaced apart it seems to me the risk would be minimal.  The key is going to not be sharing views from your telescope.

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.</

Jeff Allegrezza

i’d vote to suspend for now

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 08:41:42 AM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

davis.rick393@...

How about requiring all participants to show proof of vaccination? I just read that United Airlines is now requring all employees to be vaccinated this fall. Why should our organization be any different?

On Aug 6, 2021, at 8:50 AM, John D. via groups.io <Jdillard@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Hinke

If we do the proof-of-vaccine approach, then I suggest un-removable (at the site) wristbands so we know who has shown their proof of vaccination.  That way they don’t have to keep hauling out their proof card at every scope.

Tom

On Aug 6, 2021, at 8:50 AM, John D. via groups.io <Jdillard=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

If we are outdoors and spaced apart it seems to me the risk would be minimal.  The key is going to not be sharing views from your telescope.

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 08:41:42 AM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

Aaron Williams

My opinion (not that I’ve attended in a while), would be to suspend public star parties for right now…I feel like sharing our equipment is half the reason to have them, and as far as I know kids under 12 aren’t approved for the vaccine yet. With school starting back I think it’s going to be spreading like wildfire in the next few months.

-Aaron

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Thomas Hinke <Thhinke@...> wrote:
[...]

Suspending parties for the public is a good idea, but what about allowing observing to continue for club members who can space out and enjoy observing at a dark site?

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 09:10:52 AM CDT, Aaron Williams <mountainbiker856@...> wrote:

[...]

I’d be fine distancing at Chandler with other club members… I just need the clouds to stay away when I have a free weekend 😂

-Aaron

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 9:14 AM John D. via groups.io <Jdillard=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I vote for suspending public star parties but allowing club members to gather at Chandler for observing, as long as all participants have their vax cards in plain view either on the wrist or on a lanyard…

Fred Rains

Wow. This Delta has thrown us another curve ball. When we discussed this last time the numbers were going down for infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. They’re going the other way now. My non-medical opinion is that the trend is due to people being lax in their precautions during the summer but, bottom line, the numbers are what they are. I believe we should wait a little longer till the trend improves. Even then we need to be prepared to clean the ep and have an understanding that we’ll shut the session down if the crowd gets too big ( how big is too big?) The good news is that the number of vaccinations is trending up.

The clouds and the smoke are making the decision for us for now.

I agree that the Chandler sessions can start back up. We have much more control there.

My $0.02.

Fred

On Friday, August 6, 2021, 08:41:47 AM CDT, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

Tony

Hi All,

First of all, let me say that I'm a geologist and not an attorney.  So I'm not sure of the effects of the recent vaccine law on private clubs and organizations.  But, since several folks have mentioned  showing proof of vaccinations, I thought I would make you all aware of this link to guidance from the Alabama Attorney General that was posted last week.  It makes me wonder if you can require proof of vaccination at a public activity, at say a State Park.  Perhaps Oak Mountain can answer the question.  Anyway, I offer this for group knowledge and help in making your decision.  Clear skies!
Tony
--
Tony Edwards, Professional Geologist, Photographer, Outdoor Enthusiast, Former Scoutmaster, Amateur Astronomy Enthusiast, Fisherman, Plant Nerd, etc....

--
Tony Edwards
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1000

Kurt Edwards

My thoughts - it seems that a public star party would not be a good idea right now.  Chandler Mtn socially distanced might work, although I have not been there and do not know what kind of space to spread out is available.  If you share equipment, might be best to mask since you can still catch Covid being vaccinated.  I can see proof-of-vaccination unmasked since you are outside.

Kurt Edwards

Tyra, Howard R (GE Healthcare)

I agree with all the responses. Let’s wait and see before we fire up the Public Star parties.
I sure don’t want someone accusing us of neglect, thinking they got the virus from our group.
In this day and time we must look out for those that don’t seem to appreciate the obstacles we are facing.
I say chill and be safe!
Sincerely,
Rick Tyra
Bas-Astro Treasure

On Aug 6, 2021, at 08:41, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

Bob Sieber

James, thanks for posing an important question.  I believe that Chandler is safe and represents a situation that club members can manage.  The Oak Mountain public outreach is not so manageable and I agree with those who believe the club should continue to suspend the public star parties for the time being.  I am in Florida at the moment where the Delta variant is causing havoc, so I am somewhat biased.  Many people I observe here are simply irresponsible.  It is not my intent to touch on politics, but I happen to live in two of the states that continue to be at the bottom of the list in vaccination rates.

Let’s all enjoy what Chandler has to offer, but forgo the public outreach at this time.

All the best and clear skies!

Bob

On Aug 6, 2021, at 8:41 AM, James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore@...> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

Robert Pitt

I also agree we should suspend public star parties (and not restart in-person club meetings) until the rate goes down, and to keep appropriate distancing at Chandler.

So -- the local public health officials have been sounding the alarm concerning the Delta variant of COVID-19 and the now fourth wave surge of infections in our state. My question to you is: how comfortable are you with holding public star parties? Do we need to suspend them again for now? The safety and well-being of our members is the priority here -- I don't want anyone to feel compelled to participate in something that they are not comfortable doing. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and we'll make a decision. Thanks!

<

Sterling DeRamus

Listen to the doctor in the group.  Certainly not the lawyers!  No public parties where we share eyepieces.