Public Star Party at Oak Mountain State Park (07/17/2021)

James Moore

Hello, everyone!

According to the calendar, this Saturday (07/17/2021) should be our public star party at Oak Mountain. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. The last discussion that we had was concerning the place. I think we landed on trying the open "pavilion" area located next to the beach. This is on the other side of the road from where the Wildlife Rescue Center is. I've not done observing from this area before but several of our members have. If you are planning on coming out, please reply so that we can get an idea of how many folks we'll have. There's plenty of room to set up!

Clear skies! -- James

John D.

I just joined and would certainly like to attend, weather permitting.

Jeff Allegrezza

i’ll plan to attend.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:41 PM James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello, everyone!

According to the calendar, this Saturday (07/17/2021) should be our public star party at Oak Mountain. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. The last discussion that we had was concerning the place. I think we landed on trying the open "pavilion" area located next to the beach. This is on the other side of the road from where the Wildlife Rescue Center is. I've not done observing from this area before but several of our members have. If you are planning on coming out, please reply so that we can get an idea of how many folks we'll have. There's plenty of room to set up!

Clear skies! -- James

spaztech

w00t!

Another new member here. I will be there Saturday with my SO (star-gazing other).

Any other details we need to know for access, ie; will there be a gate fee? (which is no problem, we’ll just need to bring cash with us)

Looking forward to it.

-Carl

John D.

For us new folks, could someone kindly post directions of where to meet at Oak Mtn?  I've never been there.  Thank you.  Looking forward to (hopefully) observing again after a long break.

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Sterling DeRamus

On Jul 15, 2021, at 8:11 AM, jdillard via groups.io <Jdillard@...> wrote:

For us new folks, could someone kindly post directions of where to meet at Oak Mtn?  I've never been there.  Thank you.  Looking forward to (hopefully) observing again after a long break.

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

John D.

Thank you!  Now let's hope the weather holds up :)

--
It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

James Moore

Carl,

Yes, there is a gate fee. Even though we're providing "programming" for the park, we still have to pay to get in just like everyone else. ;-)

Thanks! -- James

Aaron Williams

Assuming probably a no-go on the star party tonight?

-Aaron

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Carl,

Yes, there is a gate fee. Even though we're providing "programming" for the park, we still have to pay to get in just like everyone else. ;-)

Thanks! -- James

Sterling DeRamus

Not looking good. Not for at least another week.

On Jul 17, 2021, at 1:09 PM, Aaron Williams <Mountainbiker856@...> wrote:

Assuming probably a no-go on the star party tonight?

-Aaron

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM James Moore via groups.io <jasbmoore=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Carl,

Yes, there is a gate fee. Even though we're providing "programming" for the park, we still have to pay to get in just like everyone else. ;-)

Thanks! -- James

James Moore

Cancelling the star party for this evening. Hope to "see" everyone at the monthly meeting!

Clear skies! -- James