Topics

recent pic of M8

Robert Pitt

I took this a couple of weeks ago with my Hyperion 12.5/8 using a Triad quad narrow band filter, and just did the flats today. 40 one-minute exposures stacked with a ZWO6200 bin2. Unfortunately, pretty low in my backyard and many of the subs were through tree branches….

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

Myron Wasiuta

Hello Bob,
Nonetheless a very interesting and impressive image. Youve really captured the faint outer tendrils well!

Dr. Myron Wasiuta
President- MSRO Science, Inc
Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA

On Aug 31, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

I took this a couple of weeks ago with my Hyperion 12.5/8 using a Triad quad narrow band filter, and just did the flats today. 40 one-minute exposures stacked with a ZWO6200 bin2. Unfortunately, pretty low in my backyard and many of the subs were through tree branches….

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

<lagoon small.jpg>

John

Very nice!

I've been trying for weeks now to get a decent window in the clouds to image the Lagoon myself.  So far, I have had no luck.  I did yet my very first ever attempts at video frame stacking on Jupiter and Saturn.  They turned out ok, but I've got a lot of room for improvement.

John

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:53 AM, Myron Wasiuta
<mwasiuta@...> wrote:
Hello Bob,
Nonetheless a very interesting and impressive image. Youve really captured the faint outer tendrils well!

Dr. Myron Wasiuta
President- MSRO Science, Inc
Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA

On Aug 31, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

I took this a couple of weeks ago with my Hyperion 12.5/8 using a Triad quad narrow band filter, and just did the flats today. 40 one-minute exposures stacked with a ZWO6200 bin2. Unfortunately, pretty low in my backyard and many of the subs were through tree branches….

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

<lagoon small.jpg>

Don Waters

Bob,
Please add details on subs, flats, etc., as I am trying to learn more and seeing examples is a big help - or email me directly.
Which stacking program? Which processing program(s)?

Thanks,
Don

Robert Pitt

Thanks John. It is definitely low in the sky and foreseeable clouds don’t make it any easier. Planet imaging is a whole new ballgame, for sure!

<mwasiuta@...> wrote:

Hello Bob,

Nonetheless a very interesting and impressive image. Youve really captured the faint outer tendrils well!

Dr. Myron Wasiuta

President- MSRO Science, Inc

Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory

Wilderness, VA USA

On Aug 31, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

I took this a couple of weeks ago with my Hyperion 12.5/8 using a Triad quad narrow band filter, and just did the flats today. 40 one-minute exposures stacked with a ZWO6200 bin2. Unfortunately, pretty low in my backyard and many of the subs were through tree branches….

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

<lagoon small.jpg>

Robert Pitt

Thanks Myron. I was happy to see the extent of the outer region. Hopefully I can keep working on this and get a few more hours on the silicon!

Nonetheless a very interesting and impressive image. Youve really captured the faint outer tendrils well!

Dr. Myron Wasiuta

President- MSRO Science, Inc

Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory

Wilderness, VA USA

On Aug 31, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

I took this a couple of weeks ago with my Hyperion 12.5/8 using a Triad quad narrow band filter, and just did the flats today. 40 one-minute exposures stacked with a ZWO6200 bin2. Unfortunately, pretty low in my backyard and many of the subs were through tree branches….

Robert Pitt, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Rpitt at eng dot ua dot edu

http://unix.eng.ua.edu/~rpitt/

<lagoon small.jpg>

Robert Pitt

Hello Don:

I take dark frames with cooled astrocameras during day at the settings I will be using (temperature, binning, and sensitivity (if CMOS)) for a variety of exposure times. I am currently using 0oC and unit sensitivity and take darks for both bin 1 and bin 2 for several exposures from 10 sec to 5 minutes. I usually take 30 replicates at each setting for my dark library. It is recommended that these be repeated every 6 months or so. The dark frames are mainly used to remove amp glow and bad pixels. These are taken with the camera covered (hence “dark”).

Bias frames are taken at the same temperatures and binning as the photos. Again, 0oC and bin 1 and bin 2. These are also taken with the camera covered and at the shortest exposure duration available on the camera.

Flats are taken using a luminescent panel (can be home made with LED lights and foam board) during the day after the photo session. They can also be taken during dawn or dusk with several layers of white t-shirt material over the scope end. These need to be taken at the same camera orientation as during the photo session (to remove vignetting) and with the same filters (to remove dust molts). Also at same camera settings, but with exposures to result in about half saturation of the camera.

I take astroimages using multiple short exposures. I am still fighting tracking accuracy and satellites. I use the longest exposure possible for each sub that preserves round stars at 100% magnification. My last session (after a more careful polar alignment) allowed up to 3 minute subs. Near the celestial equator, I reduced them to 90 sec. I try for a total of about 1 hr total exposure for each subject, and combine the subs in Deep Sky Stacker. I am setting up a guide scope and guide camera to try to get up to 10 minute subs (narrow band filters require more light).

My current challenges I am trying to solve include better tracking (as noted above) and better focus. I have had little success with FocusMax so far and need to spend more time working on that. I am sure I will have many other issues crop up as I move along. Post processing is a hit-or-miss situation for me so far, but I am slowly developing a workflow. Some of the following web sites have helped be a lot with processing, but still have a ways to go yet!

Free stand-alone stacking programs:

For stacking astro images without any terrestrial components:

DeepSkyStacker (for PC) (http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html), which is what I use. It handles calibration files nicely (dark frames, flats, bias frames, etc.). Most Apple folks use Starry Landscape Stacker (below)

For stacking with foreground (landscape astrophotography, stacks the sky but not the ground):

Sequator (for PC) (https://sites.google.com/site/sequatorglobal/) and Starry Landscape Stacker (for Mac) (https://sites.google.com/site/starrylandscapestacker/home) (I have not used either recently). The following is a review/comparison of these two programs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MCvbYj-hA

Most commercial astro imaging processing packages (from free to expensive) include stacking as part of their package. PixInsight is one example that is highly regarded, but complex (and not free). I use DeepSkyStacker and follow-up with PhotoShop. There are many available and others have their own favorites. Hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions and recommendations.

Some of my Favorite On-line Resources for Astrophotography:

Landscape astrophotography (mainly Milky Way with foreground), using DSLRs (or mirrorless) with camera lenses:

Adam Woodworth (especially his “Milky Way Editing: bringing out details recorded webinar” that is inexpensive and also has many good suggestions for processing). https://adamwoodworth.com/

Ian Norman, Lonely Speck (https://www.lonelyspeck.com/). Great info, especially for light polluted areas.

Astrophotography with DSLRs thru Telescopes:

Jerry Lodriguss (https://astropix.com/index.html). Free tutorials and low cost books. Planetary and deep sky object imaging guides.

Ron Wodaski (New Astronomy Press) (http://www.newastro.com). One of the original books, but still highly relevant.

Astrophotography with Cooled Astrocameras thru Telescopes:

Trevor at AstroBackyard.com (https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroBackyard/featured). My favorite site for astroimaging processing and reviews.

Dylan O’Donnel at StarStuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51K12gEi0Yo&feature=emb_rel_pause). Many interesting topics.

Adam Block (https://adamblockstudios.com/). Advanced tutorials, stressing PixInsignt

Have fun and don’t get too frustrated!