Recurrent Nova M31N 2008-12a in outburst

Myron Wasiuta

Enclosed is a deep image of a small part of one of the outer spiral arms of the Andromeda Galaxy showing an outburst of the remarkable recurrent nova M31N 2008-12a. It was first discovered in 2008 by K. Nishiyama and F. Kabashima using a 40-cm f 9.8 reflector. It is remarkable in that it has outbursts almost yearly! I believe this is the shortest know recurrence rate of eruptions of any known recurrent nova!

The 2021 outburst was announced yesterday and I had hoped for some breaks in the clouds which happened around midnight local time. Using the 10" f 7.9 RC in Station 2 I obtained this image which does show the object (which has already likely peaked in brightness) which I annotated using thin white lines. Its magnitude is approx. 18.5 in this unfiltered image (a stack of 60 60-second exposures).

Thanks to Alex Filothodoros for the alerting me to this event!

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA