Topics

soul and rosette in Halpha from last night

Robert Pitt

Hello folks:

Finally clear (and cold) skies last night…. The two attached are hydrogen alpha narrow bands of the soul and rosette nebulas. I will take oxygen 3 tonight and sulfur 2 next clear night. These are 3 minute subs with 40 and 60 replicates (2 and 3 hrs). Used my 8 inch f/2 RASA and ASI 1600 MM camera, simple photoshop; when get all three filters, will try PixInsight for Hubble pallet.

Nice!

On Saturday, February 20, 2021, 05:10:22 PM CST, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Hello folks:

Finally clear (and cold) skies last night…. The two attached are hydrogen alpha narrow bands of the soul and rosette nebulas. I will take oxygen 3 tonight and sulfur 2 next clear night. These are 3 minute subs with 40 and 60 replicates (2 and 3 hrs). Used my 8 inch f/2 RASA and ASI 1600 MM camera, simple photoshop; when get all three filters, will try PixInsight for Hubble pallet.

Wow very nice images Bob! That Soul Nebula is kinda haunting. Looks like a skeletonized turtle with a baby head looking to posse me! Cant wait to see the narrow band results!

Dr. Myron Wasiuta
President- MSRO Science, Inc
Director- Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA

On Feb 20, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Fred Rains <fjrains@...> wrote:

Nice!

On Saturday, February 20, 2021, 05:10:22 PM CST, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Hello folks:

Finally clear (and cold) skies last night…. The two attached are hydrogen alpha narrow bands of the soul and rosette nebulas. I will take oxygen 3 tonight and sulfur 2 next clear night. These are 3 minute subs with 40 and 60 replicates (2 and 3 hrs). Used my 8 inch f/2 RASA and ASI 1600 MM camera, simple photoshop; when get all three filters, will try PixInsight for Hubble pallet.

Thanks Myron; definitely turtle-like. Getting O3 now (not nearly as bright as the Ha though)

[...]

Bob,

My skies are not great in terms of darkness but as yet have not taken the leap to narrow band. It is truly amazing though what detail can be seen! How do you like your RASA? I am seeing more imagers adopting that astrograph with impressive results. I am thinking about adding one to our observatory. I the meantime I am trying my hand at long focal length narrow field imaging with oiut 10" f 7.9 TPO RC. Here is M 109 from last night using photometric filters for "RGB". It definately coukd use more exposure but high clouds came in after about only 2 hours of data.

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory

Hello Myron:

Those were taken with my 8 inch RASA (I got it for star parties that I didn’t get to last year, so it is on my main mount now while my larger home scope is being refitted). I have an 11 inch RASA up at Chandler in a little dome. I am pleased with both, but they have their own set of challenges. Definitely not for small objects (like galaxies, except for M31 and maybe M101; M52 and M81/M82 are pretty small smudges but interesting, but with little detail). Being f/2 scopes, you can get deep with modest exposures on extended objects. For narrowband, you have to use BAADER special high speed filters (too much of wavelength shift at f/2, so these are shifted for fast scopes). Wider “narrow” band filters may be OK. Lots of interesting trifilters out there now for color cameras that also work well in light polluted areas (Lehance optolong filters are ok as it has wide gaps, but the newest Lextreme is too narrow for anything <f/4).

My skies are not great in terms of darkness but as yet have not taken the leap to narrow band. It is truly amazing though what detail can be seen! How do you like your RASA? I am seeing more imagers adopting that astrograph with impressive results. I am thinking about adding one to our observatory. I the meantime I am trying my hand at long focal length narrow field imaging with oiut 10" f 7.9 TPO RC. Here is M 109 from last night using photometric filters for "RGB". It definately coukd use more exposure but high clouds came in after about only 2 hours of data.

Dr. Myron E. Wasiuta
President, MSRO Science, Inc
Director, Mark Slade Remote Observatory
Wilderness, VA USA

Wayne Eads

Looks good! Lots of nice contrast in that rosette shot. I need to spend some more time on that target to add to my 2019 data on it.

Wayne

From: "Wayne Eads via groups.io" <wayne3032@...>
Date: 2/23/21 4:51 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io

Looks good! Lots of nice contrast in that rosette shot. I need to spend some more time on that target to add to my 2019 data on it.

Wayne

Finally clear (and cold) skies last night…. The two attached are hydrogen alpha narrow bands of the soul and rosette nebulas. I will take oxygen 3 tonight and sulfur 2 next clear night. These are 3 minute subs with 40 and 60 replicates (2 and 3 hrs). Used my 8 inch f/2 RASA and ASI 1600 MM camera, simple photoshop; when get all three filters, will try PixInsight for Hubble pallet.

Very nice Wayne. I remember this from before and was an inspiration for me to give it a try!

[...]

Bob, thank you.  I've very interested to see how your hubble pallet turns out... I bet that's going to look nice.

Wayne

[...]

It will be interesting as I have never combined images from different filters before. Time to figure out next step with PixInsight!