From: "James Moore via groups.io"
To: main@bas-astro.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday June 9 2021 7:33:44PM
Subject: [bas-astro] Star Parties and protocol

Hello, everyone!

So -- per our discussion last month, I've reached out to Oak Mountain State Park to let them know that we're ready to crank up the public star parties again. According to the calendar, our first public star party is scheduled for this Saturday, but I'm not feeling too good about our chances with the weather. I will keep everyone posted.

The other big topic related to this that needs to be addressed is protocol concerning looking through scopes. Fred brought up some good points that I'm listing below. Please feel free to give input by responding to this message:

I recommend we begin the star parties again but with caveats for viewing:

1. Either have your own eyepiece
2. Be willing to clean the eyepiece and focuser after each individual.

I like option 1 when we're at Chandler and I need someone to chime in on possible effects of an alcohol based disinfectant on eyepieces. I think everyone has a spare Meade 26mm Plossl or two laying around that could be used.

Thanks! -- James

Sterling DeRamus

Weather is clearing Saturday night!

On Jun 9, 2021, at 9:12 PM, Robert Pitt <rpittal@...> wrote:

Zeiss lens wipes contain isopropyl alcohol and use then for cleaning all sorts of optics (mainly my coated glasses) and should be fine for eyepieces. Keeping some distance between folks may be more important, and masks for unvaced folks.