Topics

Strange signal coming from Proxima Centauri

Sterling DeRamus

Ok.  This interesting astronomy news:

“Hundreds of candidates, however, routinely pass this phase and are singled out for further investigation. From there, almost all will be dismissed as some mirage or error—perhaps an excess of static, for instance—that fooled the winnowing algorithm, eliminating them from consideration as any sort of transmission from talkative aliens. “Except this one,” Sheikh says.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alien-hunters-discover-mysterious-signal-from-proxima-centauri/

The signal is needle sharp right at 982 MHz. But there appears to be no modulation, it’s just a single tone.  For now they think it’s likely some earth based interference, and it requires a lot more research.

I’m skeptical that a red dwarf like that Proxima Centauri could evolve a technological civilization because of its flares.

Robert Pitt

Parkes previously detected anomalous signals several years ago, but they ended up being the break room microwave! Must be true, I read it on the internet…

“Hundreds of candidates, however, routinely pass this phase and are singled out for further investigation. From there, almost all will be dismissed as some mirage or error—perhaps an excess of static, for instance—that fooled the winnowing algorithm, eliminating them from consideration as any sort of transmission from talkative aliens. “Except this one,” Sheikh says.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alien-hunters-discover-mysterious-signal-from-proxima-centauri/

The signal is needle sharp right at 982 MHz. But there appears to be no modulation, it’s just a single tone.  For now they think it’s likely some earth based interference, and it requires a lot more research.

I’m skeptical that a red dwarf like that Proxima Centauri could evolve a technological civilization because of its flares.

Sterling DeRamus

It isn’t just any site; it’s Scientific American. The article says they eliminated the microwave.  But they haven’t ruled out other terrestrial sources.  They need to see if they can find it again.

[...]

Fred Rains

LOL on the internet based fact source. I'd like to believe we are not alone (and there's a LOT of interesting things we can't explain) but I am more of a believer in the Drake Equation. The numbers are just too great against two civilizations reasonably advanced enough to find each other, existing at the same time. And I never have thought it was particularly smart on our part to try and communicate with a technologically superior race. Historically it has not turned out well. At least for our species... :-)

My money is on the microwave. :-)

Fred

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 09:37:57 AM CST, Sterling DeRamus <sterling.deramus@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Copper

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/replace-the-arecibo-radio-telescope-with-one-on-the-moons-far-side/ar-BB1c5qGJ

Robert Pitt

I have gone to the Green Banks star party a few times (around 4th of July) and they let us play with a small 60 ft dish where we were able to measure the approach velocity of M31 crashing towards us. We were pretty close (I think next Wednesday….). Great fun. The whole area is a spurious energy free zone, with no cell phones, etc. (including microwaves). I was surprised that the Australians allowed microwaves on site! If we aren’t careful, the microwave ovens will take over civilization….

[...]

James Moore

"Send more Chuck Berry". Some of you will get the reference. ;-)

Mark Copper

Updated Drake equation!
   https://phys.org/news/2020-12-likelihood-extraterrestrial-civilizations.html
Inclusive of rats on an island!

Fred Rains

Mark,

I love the article. It led me to a great quote:

astronomer and SETI co-founder Jill Tarter eloquently put it in an interview with National Geographic in 2000: “The Drake Equation is a wonderful way to organize our ignorance.”

They also reference a "Pessimism Line" .when discussing how changes in the variables affect the outcome. I think that's a great concept although an "Optimism Line" would have worked just as well. :-)

One of the many assumption variations that was kind of scary was one that an advanced civilization would not last longer than 300 years without killing itself off. This is the one that resulted in a super low likelihood of contact... kind of what we've actually observed. :-)

Thanks for the article!

Let's all have a better year in 2021!

Fred

On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 04:04:58 PM CST, Mark Copper <mlcopper@...> wrote:

Updated Drake equation!
   https://phys.org/news/2020-12-likelihood-extraterrestrial-civilizations.html
Inclusive of rats on an island!

Don Waters

Steven Hawking was correct when he opined that he hoped that the earth would not be discovered by an advanced civilization. The history of advanced civilizations encountering a more primitive civilization has not been good for the latter.
Don Waters

Tyra, Howard R (GE Healthcare)

Don ur so right and we have sad proof on that fact.

On Dec 29, 2020, at 09:48, Don Waters <donwaters201@...> wrote:

Steven Hawking was correct when he opined that he hoped that the earth would not be discovered by an advanced civilization. The history of advanced civilizations encountering a more primitive civilization has not been good for the latter.
Don Waters

Mark Copper

While I don't expect a call back from ET, I'm excited about a future in which we might detect signs of life elsewhere in the universe. We might need a broader definition of life, like Richard Dawkins' proposal of heredity, and we might need bigger light gatherers so to collect enough photons from exoplanets. But inferring from our own example where life is billions of years old, it presents a bigger target.

Sterling DeRamus

It’s certainly plausible that we could detect biosignatures coming from certain exoplanets, given a very large space based interferometer.  I know NASA has considered such ideas, but I suspect that they would like to narrow down the candidates from Kepler first.  It’s an expensive idea.